What to do After a Collision
When you need to know what to do after an accident, a motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD motorists turn to for legal help offers these suggestions. The legal firm of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. has extensive experience in the area of vehicle accidents that result in personal injuries. We have represented more than 10,000 personal injury victims. Over the last 20 years our legal team has recovered more than $50 million on behalf of our personal injury clients.
If you are involved in an accident while riding your motorcycle, there are several steps you should consider taking immediately afterward. These may generally help protect your rights and aid you in any lawsuit or insurance claim that you might have to make and should not be taken as legal advise. A motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD victim’s trust will likely agree that in addition to taking these steps, you might be best served by contacting an attorney without delay.
What to Do Immediately After An Accident
The time following an accident, from the first moments until the first few hours can be extremely stressful, confusing, and terrifying. A motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD drivers go to for help may be able to make this process a little easier because you won’t have to go through it alone. There’s no substitute for legal advice from your attorney, but here are some general points to keep in mind about the steps you may wish to take after you’ve been involved in a vehicle accident while on your motorcycle:
- Call 911 or ask someone else to call for help.In addition to your own possible personal injuries, other involved parties may also be in need of immediate medical help.
- Walk to a nearby safe location. To minimize the risk of another vehicle hitting you, walk to the shoulder or another safer place if you’re capable. This is a judgement call that may be difficult to make under duress. If the accident involves injuries or significant damage, it should be reported to the police right away. In that scenario, a motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD community members believe in may suggest you not leave the scene until a police officer tells you it’s okay to do so. An exception might be if you are taken from the scene by emergency personnel such as an Emergency Medical Service (EMS) technician in an ambulance.
- Seek medical attention even if you’re not sure you’re injured. An on-scene evaluation by EMS may be sufficient, but consider taking their advice if they suggest you get checked out by a doctor. More than one motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD has to offer may tell you that at first their client didn’t think they were injured only to later, when the shock wore off, realize that they were hurt. A motorcycle accident lawyer in Lanham MD who practices personal injury law might suggest that seeking medical attention immediately is a good idea for more than one reason:
- If you do not receive medical care, or delay treatment, your injury may worsen or become more serious than it would have otherwise.
- The moment you are seen by an emergency room physician or your personal doctor, your medical condition is documented. The same is true with any treatments you undergo and medication that you need to purchase. If you file a claim or pursue a lawsuit, this information is documented by medical professionals and can bolster your case. A good motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD locals rely on may use that information as needed with the goal of recovering your costs. Your attorney at Cohen and Cohen, P.C. can review your bills and physician recommended treatment plans to possibly determine what past, present, and future costs may be recoverable.
- While still at the scene, gather as much information as possible.
- Collect names and phone numbers of witnesses if you are able.
- Take photos if you are able and it’s safe to do so of your motorcycle, the other vehicle and driver, and the accident scene.
- Confirm with the police that they’ll be filing a report on the accident. The police report can be used later to supplement your own attorney’s accident investigation and documentation.
- Contact a Lanham MD motorcycle accident lawyer. The sooner you can do this the better.
- An experienced lawyer by your side may significantly improve the likelihood of you recovering your costs for vehicle damage and medical bills. Cohen and Cohen, P.C. can negotiate the highest possible settlement with your insurance company. We can also pursue litigation if it becomes necessary.
- You will not have to face the difficulties and stress resulting from the accident on your own. Our attorneys at Cohen and Cohen, P.C. will keep you informed on the progress of your legal case every step of the way. When you need a top motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD is proud to call their own, contact us so we can help you as well.
- Certain vehicular laws particular to motorcycles may affect your legal case. If that is applicable to your accident, it may be advantageous to work with a lawyer who is knowledgeable about those laws. Cohen and Cohen, P.C. attorneys are very familiar with applicable motor vehicle laws.
- If the other driver was at fault but does not have insurance or enough insurance, your Cohen and Cohen, P.C. attorney may be able to garnish the driver’s wages or pursue their assets on your behalf.
Cohen and Cohen, P.C. Is at Your Side
After being involved in a vehicle accident, the resulting physical and emotional trauma can be overwhelming. The first part is getting through the first stages immediately following the accident. You will likely have concerns and questions about your legal recourse and if your costs can be recovered. In the last two decades, the legal firm of Cohen and Cohen, P.C. have helped their clients recover costs as well as protect their rights. You deserve the same. Call us today at Cohen and Cohen, P.C. for the calibre of experience and help that a motorcycle accident lawyer Lanham MD respects can provide you.